Thursday, December 21, 2006
Holiday Wishes Come True
Hi everyone, this blog is from the heart and I hope you can join in and share with me. There were some beautiful ladies in Miami Shores and the surrounding communities that would organize a Christmas Coffee every year on the first week of December. They would have a couple of women talk about a life changing experience and how they had found God. When I first heard about it I was a little skeptical but that all changed when I attended my first one. The whole point of the coffee was to help you focus on the things that really matter, to help you realize the true meaning of Christmas, and to put things in perspective. Although they have not had a Christmas Coffee in a couple of years, I still sit down to reflect every year.
Right after Thanksgiving many of us start running like crazy making holiday .....read more
Friday, December 15, 2006
by The Miami Shores Heidi Hewes Chapter of the WCA of The University of Miami
This past Sunday, December 10th 2006, The Miami Shores Heidi Hewes Chapter of the Woman's Cancer Association held its 15th annual "Homes for the Holidays" walking tour. It was a huge success and all for such a great cause.
A group of friends of mine and I made it a tradition to go together to this yearly event. We would meet in someone's house all dressed up and ready to go, and would enjoy looking at holiday decorations, architectural styles and chatting with hundreds of locals. If you have ever been to one of these walks you know how fabulous they are, if you have not, I hope to be able to do the walk justice with my description. . . . . . . read more
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
For anyone that lives in or around Miami Shores, you know that the holidays are filled with special events where the community gets together to share and enjoy. If you have never been to these events, we encourage you to join in. If you miss any, you can look forward to next year. We apologize if we missed any events and would be happy to include them once you contact us.
- December 1 - Tree Lighting Extravaganza at the Miami Shores recreation fields at 6:30 PM. Join hundreds of residents watch as Mayor Al Davis lights up The Miami Shores Christmas Tree, representing holiday cheer! Special appearance by Santa Claus himself as well as the Miami Shores Fire Department with sirens and all!
- December 3 - Children performing "Christmas Musical" at Baptist Church. 6:00 PM
- December 7 - 22nd Annual "Yule Log" - 7:00 PM. Hosted by Miami Country Day School - the program serves as a time of reflection. There will be holiday music, lighting of the Christmas Tree, Menorah, Advent Wreath, Hanukkah blessing and the Passing of the Light.
- December 10 - 15th Annual "Home for the Holidays" Tour sponsored by The Heidi Hewes Chapter of the Woman's Cancer Association of the University of Miami. 5:00 to 8:00 PM - $25 donation. Five beautiful homes will be opened to approximately 500 guests. Raffles will also be sold at the walk.
- December 12 - Holiday Caroling Hayride and Light up the Village -Purchase luminary bags from the Community Center and light up your lawn. Hayride carolers will visit your home between 6:30 - 8:30 PM. Stop by the Community Center by Dec. 8 to sign-up for Hayride Caroling. Sign-up early, space is limited (bring a flashlight, music books provided)
- December 14-15 - 50th Annual "Living Nativity" at Presbyterian Church. The story of Christmas told with live animals and living characters on the lawn of the Church. From 7:30 -9:30 PM
KID CAMPS: **Winter Break Camp will be offered at the Field House between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM** week 1: Dec 26, 27, 28, 29. Week 2: Jan 2, 3, 4, 5. **Kids Day off also at the Field House on December 22 and January 15. **
**The Tennis Center has open play schedule**
**The Aquatic Center has open swim schedule**
www.Miamism.com and we promise to answer all questions or guide you to someone that can. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
For any questions about the community, please feel free to contact RICK & INES,